Wills, Trusts & Estates
"Estate Planning" is more than meets the eye. In some ways, it is more like "Life Planning" than it is about planning for a time when you will have moved on to your just rewards. Not only are you planning for your life, but for the lives of your loved ones, pets, and friends. If you think about it in the context of making the collective lives of your loved ones easier during a highly emotional and trying time, you might be able to get past the part about planning for your death.
There are many misconceptions about estate planning. Mention the phrase around company and you might encounter a few of the following:
- I don't have an "estate", so why should I bother?
- I don't have enough money for an estate plan...
- Aren't "estate plans" for old people?
- I'm going to be buying more stuff (houses, cars, etc.), so why do it now?
- I'll be dead, so who cares?
- My kids know who gets what. That's enough isn't it?
- Attorney's are expensive. I'll just download something online...
- I can do it later...
In reality, planning for your death is difficult... It can be stressful at first, and you might just want to skip it all together. In some ways, estate planning is a lot like learning something new. If you have someone by your side teach, coach, and encourage you along the way, it makes it easier, and you reach your goals much faster. As attorneys and counselors at law, it is our desire to help you plan for your future today! We want to help you achieve your goals in all facets of your life, including setting up your Life Plan!
Below you will find a "blog roll" of some of our most recent posts related to estate planning. Please read and enjoy them! We hope they provide you useful information that will help you formulate your plan for the future.